Justin hosts a Thanksgiving AMA today, Recipe: Fresh Cranberry and Pearl Onions!

Accompaniment: Fresh Cranberry and Pearl Onions

 
This is a side dish, that shows off the beauty of fresh cranberries, something I think is lacking in the ubiquitous canned 'sauce'. Not that I think cranberry sauce should not grace your table (I would miss that too!), but here is another idea for that New England-y berry.

1. Peeling the onions is time consuming and it will make you cry. I try to do this early in the morning and get all my crying out early on, so that I can go about my day. I cut off both ends of the onion with a sharp paring knife, then carefully peel the outermost layer.

In a saute pan, I put the pearl onions  with enough water to keep them exposed (about 3/4 the height of the onions), a knob of butter, and a generous drizzle of virgin olive oil. Boiling them will cook them fully.

2. When the water has evaporated, the onions seek out the remaining butter and oil, and volatile chemicals are released for this non-enzymatic browning. When this is done I take the pan off of the heat, and add the fresh cranberries.
Experiment as you like with it by adding more vegetables. You could add corn for yet another color and you'll be on your way to a kicked-up succotash!

Happy Thanksgiving!